Saturday, December 03, 2005

its cold...will Christmas be enough?


I find the older I get I wonder each year if "Christmas" will be enough to "pick me up" from the onset of winter blahs and foreboding. And it feels like all the disappointments and anxieties of my life glom on to this cold, windy, snowy time of year.

Now, I like snow! I love it when a good snow storm blankets everything for two reasons. 1) its beautiful 2) it forces people to slow down en masse. Like Aug 14 2004 when we had the huge black out and everyone just went outside and related. That's what snow storms do. People tend to complain about them, but I think they are a gift.

But the just plain cold, windy winter days seem to take their toll. They rarely are a day when I say "This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it." Sure, I can speak it out loud and I do from time to time. But I don't mean it.

There is one day a week in the cold, windy days that I look forward to. The gathering of brothers and sisters to worship God. I love that. It is an oasis, maybe we could call it a winter sabbath, in the blahy winter days. And, visiting with people at Coco's during the week does the same for me. I look forward to those visits. Times spent in connecting around life and God rather than short snippets of conversation on the road to accomplishing so many tasks that each seem to run into one another.

Since I was a child, I was programmed to expect that Christmas would pump me up for the long darkness of winter. But as I get older, there doesn't seem to be enough. I have come to realize that Christmas is a staged event or a reenactment by the community of faith to help us be confirmed in faith that God is breaking into this world right now with the gift of love known as Jesus Christ. God's own flesh and blood. The savior of all that aches in us and ails us. December 25 is not suppose to be in and of itself the "pump me up." It is the reminder of that which God is doing that is aeons beyond just being a pump me up.

Christmas started in the northern Europe Christian context centuries ago because they felt what we feel in the same climate...foreboding, anxious and the blahs. So, they decided the best time of year for them to be reminded of God's present and future action was at the time of year when most people seemed to hit the bottom of life. They used it to plant deep in their soul that God is breaking into our lives and into the world all the time. Christmas is only the window through which our memories, our senses, our hearts, our faith is reinforced to expect it and to discern it. Don't expect the Christmas season to be the salve for your ache and ailments of life. Use Christmas as a window into the wonderful gift that God is giving throughout our lives.

1 Comments:

At 12:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

david,
i've been attending your church off and on for the last couple of months...i wanted to share a couple of thoughts.
first off, i come from an extremely 'conservative' background, and my biggest gripe against the so-called 'conservative christian' movement is simply that...it's movement...they seem to be at war, at odds with the world...there's no evidence of peace...the main message Jesus came to preach was one of peace, spiritual and physical. the first couple of weeks at UCC Fairlawn quieted years of turmoil. i've been to many many churches, and many different denominations, but to walk into a church and be able to just sit in the presence of the almighty is incredible. about a month ago, in the middle of the service, i felt God saying that for years i have survived off of bread, but now i'm drinking wine and eating meat...peace is a powerful concept. i sit in the services, maybe not hearing everything being said, but i am being ministered to. the quiet still voice Isiaih searched for in the wilderness invades each service. so i guess i'm saying thank you. thank you for remaining available to God in your sermons, available to the holy spirit...
many of your sermons will be recaps of what i've been dealing with the previous week. after last weeks service, i sat in my car and cried. everything i had prayed about last week you touched on, every issue i had taken to Jesus was a point of your sermon, and your reponse came straight from the mouth of God, telling me things i may not have really wanted to hear; it was definately fertilizing tilled soil.
i appreciate UCC Fairlawn and the way God has used your churches, peace, love, and gentle spirits, has been life changing.
In the peace of Jesus Christ,
Alex Petz

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home