Friday, December 21, 2007

things I like about the United Church of Christ/UCC #2

If you read over my blog in the past, I have offered a lot of criticism of parts of the United Church of Christ that I think have run away from the tradition and the vision of what is at the core of this denomination. I got tired of hearing myself complain so I decided to start this "series" on the parts of the United Church of Christ that I appreciate.

Today in part 2, I have really come to appreciate the vision and mission of Scottsdale Congregational Church UCC outside of Phoenix, AZ. Eric Elnes is the pastoral leader. They have done a lot in worship expression in visual, artistic and music. The church has also focused on ways to help folks connect with God in their spiritual journey through things that are already part of their life...instead of having to add something totally new and different. And with Eric's leadership they have made a witness in walking across this country to share their experience of Jesus Christ as one who brings justice into the world rather than condemning and shaming folks. CrossWalk America

They reflect for me what has been the enduring witness of that which we call today and for the last 50 years the United Church of Christ, but also the roots that go back to the Protestant Reformation and beyond. They witness not for a particular identity or denomination but for Christ in reaching out to those who seek to know the love of God.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home