Thursday, November 22, 2007

things I like about the United Church of Christ/UCC #1

I decided to start writing about those things that I like about the United Church of Christ also known as the UCC, a Christian denomination out of the Reformed tradition of the Protestant church.

#1 was easy - Northland College in Ashland, WI.

This is a UCC related college. I got to know of it while we lived in the far northwoods of Wisconsin when I served Community UCC in St. Germain, WI in the early 1990's. I have continued to support Northland financially ever since (more than my alma maters of Hanover College and Eden Theological Seminary). And last year at the college fair at Firestone High School I offered to represent Northland and did so.

Northland is consistent with what it says it is...their ethos is clearly respect for the God's creation. The school has an ethic of earth stewardship. Of any college info magazine I have gotten, Northland's I continually look forward to. I dream and am so hopeful every time I read it.

I wish the UCC relied on Northland more and lifted it up. I think in the present when the UCC is living a lot off of its storied prophetic past, Northland is one of the most consistent settings in the present of creating a prophetic future!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home