Sunday, July 17, 2005

annual canoe trip

I began canoeing 32 years ago on the Eleven Point River in the Ozarks of Missouri. Four days later I bought my first canoe. Canoeing was the first revelation to me of how life was meant to be peaceful. 14 years of the 12 Steps of Recovery have helped me to know that daily, now, but canoeing is still a highpoint of serenity for me. The irony is the rivers have wonderful rapids through which to shoot and test your skill.

Five years ago we began canoe trips here at Fairlawn-West. Our group will leave Tuesday for canoeing as we did last year on the Big South Fork River of the Cumberland River in the Big South Fork National Recreation Area. This year we will have the four alumni of Rich Herbruck, Bob McKnight, Duane Ewing and myself and this year's newcomer of Brian Communale. Every year we wind up with at least one new person.

Here we are last year with Rich's son Kevin along.

Then I will be at my annual vacation retreat with my in-laws, John and Sarah Jo Bond on Linger Lake north of Crossville, Tennessee. I get so much reading and relaxation and even some fishing done there.

So, I may get some stuff up here, but if not, I will see you in early August.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home