Friday, April 07, 2006

needy

Followers of Jesus are less "needy" than others around them and thus can pray more for the conditions of the world around them.  That's what I got from my meditation reading today.  It also strikes me as I pray The Lord's Prayer which was what Jesus offered in answer to the disciples request to teach them to pray.
 
Here is some of my meditation this morning:
 
Breaking out of the bondage of self does not mean we ignore or deny our needs.  In fact, quite the reverse is true.  If we can discover healthy, God-directed ways to meet our emotional and physical needs, then we become less needy, less selfish, less self-preoccupied individuals.  This is the paradox of following Jesus.  Discovering what our needs are and asking to have those needs met may be one of the most unselfish things we do.  All of us have needs, and all of us have choices as to how those needs are to be met.  Many of the way we humans act are counterfeit means of trying to meet our most basic physical, emotional, and spiritual hungers.  With God's help we can find genuine ways of satisfying them. 
 
We want to turn our ourselves over to God, but how?  How do we get out of the driver's seat?  The key is willingness.  If we crack the door just a little bit, then God will direct us in the process.  Revelation 3:20 says "Look at me. I stand at the door. I knock. If you hear me call and open the door, I'll come right in and sit down to supper with you.
 
(end of meditation)
 
David continues:
 
There are two prayers that bring this home for me in my spititual practice -
 
1) AA Third Step Prayer
 
God, I offer myself to Thee--to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt.  Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do They will.  Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy power, Thy love, and They way of life.  May I do Thy will always.  Amen.
 
2) John Wesley's annual renewal of covenant prayer
 
Let me be your servant, under your command.
I will no longer be my own.
I will give up myself to your will in all things.
Lord, make me what you will.
I put myself fully into your hands:
put me to doing, put me to suffering,
let me be employed for you, or laid aside for you,
let me be full, let me be empty,
let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and with a willing heart
give it all to your pleasure and disposal.
 
And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, thou art mine, and I am thine. So be it. And the covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven. Amen. 
 
David again: This is the tenuous rope that we balance on.  Are we willing to let go of our lives, fully committing our life to follow Jesus, to die with him...so that we will rise with him to life that never ends?  OR, will we do the perfunctory "religious" thing by going to church, seeking to be good people trying to get better, and only try out Jesus for those portions of our lives we are willing to let go of, but still holding on to those other parts of our lives that seem unreasonable to let go of?


David Loar
http://discipledavid.blogspot.com ...my blog
http://www.fairlawnwest.org ...church web site
http://www.loar.org ...family web site

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home