Saturday, May 21, 2005

Boy Scouts require more than "Christians"

If Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts are expected to do good deeds regularly/daily, what should be expected of those who have given their life to Christ? What is the "bar" for Christians e.g. we who are part of a local church? Would it be higher? Or could I be just as well be a Boy Scout and not need to be part of the church/body of Christ? Or what about the Rotary,Kiwanis and Lions clubs which are rigorous in their attendance requirements and also on the character of their members and their moral behavior? The Rotary 4-Way Test is an example. Is more expected of a Christian? We treat long term members in the church as though they are novice, baby Christians.

Hebrews 5
11I have a lot more to say about this, but it is hard to get it across to you since you've picked up this bad habit of not listening. 12By this time you ought to be teachers yourselves, yet here I find you need someone to sit down with you and go over the basics on God again, starting from square one--baby's milk, when you should have been on solid food long ago! 13Milk is for beginners, inexperienced in God's ways; 14solid food is for the mature, who have some practice in telling right from wrong.
Hebrews 6
1So come on, let's leave the preschool fingerpainting exercises on Christ and get on with the grand work of art. Grow up in Christ. The basic foundational truths are in place: turning your back on "salvation by self-help" and turning in trust toward God; 2baptismal instructions; laying on of hands; resurrection of the dead; eternal judgment. 3God helping us, we'll stay true to all that. But there's so much more. Let's get on with it!

Matthew 10
29"What's the price of a pet canary? Some loose change, right? And God cares what happens to it even more than you do. 30He pays even greater attention to you, down to the last detail--even numbering the hairs on your head! 31So don't be intimidated by all this bully talk. You're worth more than a million canaries.
32"Stand up for me against world opinion and I'll stand up for you before my Father in heaven. 33If you turn tail and run, do you think I'll cover for you?
34"Don't think I've come to make life cozy. I've come to cut-- 35make a sharp knife-cut between son and father, daughter and mother, bride and mother-in-law--cut through these cozy domestic arrangements and free you for God. 36Well-meaning family members can be your worst enemies. 37If you prefer father or mother over me, you don't deserve me. If you prefer son or daughter over me, you don't deserve me.
38"If you don't go all the way with me, through thick and thin, you don't deserve me. 39If your first concern is to look after yourself, you'll never find yourself. But if you forget about yourself and look to me, you'll find both yourself and me.
40"We are intimately linked in this harvest work. Anyone who accepts what you do, accepts me, the One who sent you. Anyone who accepts what I do accepts my Father, who sent me. 41Accepting a messenger of God is as good as being God's messenger. Accepting someone's help is as good as giving someone help. This is a large work I've called you into, but don't be overwhelmed by it. It's best to start small. 42Give a cool cup of water to someone who is thirsty, for instance. The smallest act of giving or receiving makes you a true apprentice. You won't lose out on a thing."

Matthew 5
43"You're familiar with the old written law, "Love your friend,' and its unwritten companion, "Hate your enemy.' 44I'm challenging that. I'm telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, 45for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best--the sun to warm and the rain to nourish--to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty.



Matthew 6
1"Be especially careful when you are trying to be good so that you don't make a performance out of it. It might be good theater, but the God who made you won't be applauding.
2"When you do something for someone else, don't call attention to yourself. You've seen them in action, I'm sure--"playactors' I call them--treating prayer meeting and street corner alike as a stage, acting compassionate as long as someone is watching, playing to the crowds. They get applause, true, but that's all they get. 3When you help someone out, don't think about how it looks.



Matthew 19
16Another day, a man stopped Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
17Jesus said, "Why do you question me about what's good? God is the One who is good. If you want to enter the life of God, just do what he tells you."



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home