Sunday, May 01, 2005

am I a native?

I am 56 years old. I remember when Elvis was on the Ed Sullivan Show the first time. I remember when the Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan Show the first time. My first two real rock albums were Jefferson Airplanes "Surrealistic Pillow" and the Grateful Dead's "Greatful Dead" both in mono. (still have them both). I remember when WMMS in Cleveland was an "underground radio" station and I switched back and forth between it and CKLW in Windsor, Ontario.

My daughters are 14 and 11. What will the world look like when they are 56? Will the culture be changing as much as it is now or will it have found a comfortable groove for a few decades by that point? Or will change be on a roll for some decades to come?

I am not a native to this culture. I love to be a part of it, but I need interpreters to help explain it to me. For instance, I just finished watching Napoleon Dynamite. What is that all about? I identified a lot with Napoleon, but saw myself as a fringey of the "in" or cool crowd. That is, I hung out with them at school and once and a while wound up with them at hang out places. But they sure took a different way than I am use to communicate this age old story. My daughters loved it. So did I, but I had to interpret it through my more linear and connected way of telling a story. All things come to those who wait. All of us will face this at some time.

2 Comments:

At 9:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shall be 56 in August, I too remember turning between KYW & CKLW. How about Tom Fenton doing the news on WEOL? Perhaps Captain Penny, Barnaby and his invisible parrot Long John?

I am a grad of the former South Amherst Local High School (now consolidated with Firelands Local school district).

 
At 9:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might like this site: The Classic CKLW Page

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home