Wednesday, February 09, 2005

traditional

I have had so many folks tell me that they want things to go back to or remain "traditional." I think traditional means for them "the way it was for most of our life or the way we shaped it to be." I am a traditionalist. I love history. I like to study and learn how our ancestors did things. I want to learn from the ancient traditions of the church and interpret them into the world in which we live. That runs up against tradition for the folks who want things to be the way they were familiar with them. Ironically, that is the description of a "me" generation. "It feels good to us and that's why we want to do it that way." ...even if it divorces from the great ancient traditions of the church. I am less a radical transformer than recoverer of the past. The real past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home