Tuesday, May 06, 2003

I am in the midst of the spring season of coaching soccer for Molly's 10 and under team. There are 12 girls in the 4th and 5th grades. I look forward to this time, even though it squeezes my regular schedule. The relationship and the fun, the teaching, it is a piece of heaven for me. The first year it was hard for Molly to have me coach her. But at this point that has faded.

As a non-soccer player (let's go swim) I first felt overwhelmed by not really knowing the sport. At this point I have learned that there is more to coaching than teaching skills. In fact I see my role more as helping the adults to chill and have fun because the girls do whether we win or lose.

We have finally developed a signal from the girls on the field when my assistant coach and I are yelling too much at them and they are having a hard time focusing on the game. They just cover their ears with both hands and we get the message.

I am learning that I don't have to be the expert. Rather, I am a guide. The girls are starting to work together more on the field and to talk to one another, to help one another. That is our ultimate goal. And it strikes me that that is the model that Jesus taught his disciples. There is not one superior leader, but a team of leaders working together. Learning together. There may be guides or visionaries to set the direction, but we are all on the road together. Isn't soccer great! Go Cheetahs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home