Sunday, July 12, 2009

prayer

What is the nature of prayer as a follower of Jesus Christ?  I put a quote in the bulletin today that was from personal correspondence with Brian McLaren.  It reflects how prayer has become more from us than toward God.  I am trying to sort out how we practice a disciplined spiritual life when prayer has seemingly become controversial and shaped a great deal by American culture more than the breadth of the Biblical scripture.

I have listed below links from commentary on prayer that has shaped me in my spiritual journey.  I have recently heard a criticism of me for not being an adequate spiritual leader because of a seeming lack of response on my part around a prayer request.

article by Henri Nouwen on prayer "First, Unclench your Fists"
quotes by Nouwen on prayer, scroll down toward the bottom

http://www.prayerinamerica.org/


Lenten Prayer by my old prof Walter Brueggemann
review of a book by Walk on prayers and preaching including a significant prayer
another review of the book plus at the end good commentary on the struggle for true spiritual prayer

myfriend  Brian McLaren offers some prayers and views on prayer
a prayer for justice and peace
at the bottom prayers

interview with Leonard Sweet about how to take in the whole world in our prayer life
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home