Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day, the day my father died at the age I am

My father, Alton Loar, died on Father's Day 1977 (June 19) at the age I am this year, 58. He died of colon cancer, never having been sick or in a hospital other than making hospital visits as a minister, until 10 months earlier when through surgery the cancer was found.

I have thought a lot about Dad these past few days realizing that his life development before he died was probably in the ballpark of who I am now too. It feels weird to think that I have been in local church ministry longer than he was (32 years for me, 28 years for him).

I have developed a web page about him and his amazing courage and action for justice in the world focused around the full page obituary the Akron Beacon Journal had for Dad after he died.
http://loar.org/dadobit.htm It includes a picture of Dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home